Explore the Malaysian state of Borneo, home to pristine rainforests and exotic flora and fauna.
From the busy coastal town of Kota Kinabalu, explore the rainforests of the Kinabalu National Park, then head south to see orangutans near Sepilok.
Why we love Borneo
As if we need to tell… The Orangutan’s, the lush Rainforests, the culture and the Orangutan’s, oh did we already say that!?
- Spot orangutans both in the wild & at the Sepilok feeding centre
- Visit a local village eco-tourism project in the Kiulu Valley
- Wildlife watching on river cruises & jungle walks
- Relax on the beach at the luxury Shangri-La’s Rasa Ria Resort & Spa
- Stay in 4- & 5-star hotels & jungle lodge accommodation*
- Small group size – maximum 26 people
Overnight flight from London (regional connections available) to Kota Kinabalu with Malaysia Airlines.
Arrive and transfer to the Hotel Grandis for 2 nights. A welcome dinner will be held this evening.
Follow nature trails through the rich plant life of Kinabalu National Park, where you may be lucky enough to see the exotic and extremely rare Rafflesia plant in flower. Continue to the Kundasang War Memorial, a site that encompasses four beautiful gardens and commemorates the Australian and British prisoners of war, and the local people who helped them, who died during the second world war.
Fly south to Sandakan, then transfer to the Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre to see the morning feeding of the reserve’s orangutans, which will be reintroduced to the wild, then visit the Bornean Sun Bear Conservation Centre nearby. Transfer to the river and board a shared boat* for a cruise into the jungle down the Kinabatangan river, then check in to the Abai Lodge for 1 night. Afternoon river cruise to search for wildlife, followed by an early evening night safari to experience the jungle after dark.
Morning boat trip to Pitas lake, a wonderful opportunity to spot proboscis monkeys, pygmy elephants and a variety of birdlife. Visit a local village to see a tree-planting project followed by lunch, then cruise* up river to Sukau in search of wild orangutans. Arrive at the Kinabatangan Riverside Lodge, your accommodation for the night. In the afternoon take a short trip down the Menanggul river.
Cruise* from Sukau to Sandakan and visit the Rainforest Discovery Centre to learn about local flora and fauna. Stroll along the canopy walkway, keeping an eye out for common giant flying squirrels gliding from tree to tree. Stay at the MY Nature Resort.
Morning flight to Kota Kinabalu. Transfer to the Kiulu Valley and visit a local village eco-tourism project. Join in activities such as traditional rice processing and rubber tapping, followed by a walk in the countryside. Afternoon transfer to the coast for a 2-night stay at Shangri-La’s Rasa Ria Resort & Spa.
Day at leisure. Relax on the private beach or visit the hotel’s nature reserve, which has a number of jungle walking trails where you may spot some of the 60 birds species recorded here.
Morning at leisure, then afternoon transfer to the airport for an overnight flight home.
Morning arrival in London.
- 3-, 4- & 5-star hotels & jungle lodge accommodation
- Flexible – extensions & flight upgrades available
- • Average group size – 10 people (max 26)
- International & internal flights
- Transfers in air-conditioned vehicles
- Experienced local tour manager
- 7 breakfasts, 5 lunches, 4 dinners
- Welcome dinner to meet the group & guide
- Guided sightseeing & entrance fees